29 Aug 2014

Dreamcatchers



This lovely handmade willow hoop, on which is woven a loose net or web, decorated with sacred items such as feathers and beads, can be used in so many ways of decoration. I love the way they look but also love the story / legend behind:

"The Ojibwe people have an ancient legend about the origin of the dreamcatcher. Storytellers speak of the Spider Woman, known as Asibikaashi; she took care of the children and the people on the land. Eventually, the Ojibwe Nation spread to the corners of North America and it became difficult for Asibikaashi to reach all the children. So the mothers and grandmothers would weave magical webs for the children, using willow hoops and sinew, or cordage made from plants. The dreamcatchers would filter out all bad dreams and only allow good thoughts to enter our mind. Once the sun rises, all bad dreams just disappear."



Few months ago I discovered Tilly’sdreamcatchers. So many colors, so many different combinations, you should really check her work! I ordered Tilyen necklace in a combination black - blue. This is what she made me:
 



She also added Turkish Evil eye, which is worn in hope to ward off any bad luck or evil spirit. Huh, I must have some kind of superpower now!

Because of my excitement, Nina got me for birthday this lovely iPhone case with picture of dreamcatcher in the back. I loooove it! 

 
I really like to wear jewelry that has some kind of story or good memory behind, or it is just important to me in any kind of way. What kind of jewelry do you like to wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment